Tips for selling your home over the holiday season
Is Christmas a good time to sell?
Over the festive season, the property market typically slows down, with people turning their thoughts away from house hunting and more towards family vacations and Christmas treats.
However, there are still plenty of advantages of selling your home over Christmas - as long as it’s done well. If you’re looking to sell your home over this festive season, here are some reasons to list over this Christmas period.
- Less competition. There are less homes on the market during December and January, which means less listings to compete with. As long as your property is strategically priced, your listing is well-marketed, and your house looks great, there’s a good chance that you’ll be able to stand out from the pack during this time.
- More serious buyers. Because the festive season is typically a slower time for the property market, buyers on the property market are usually more serious – which is good news for you as a seller. Not only will you encounter less people who are ‘just looking’ or have more time to shop around; you’ll also have higher chances of securing a quick contract.
- Beautiful weather. The festive season also coincides with the summer season, which means the weather is great, flowers are in full bloom, our beach is inviting and you’ll get plenty of natural light in your home. As a seller, you want to make the best first impression possible, and summer is the perfect backdrop to make your property look great for prospective buyers.
- Holiday cheer. The holiday season is always a time for celebration and generosity, the Fraser Coast welcomes a lot of holiday goers during this period which often translates to dreams of moving to our beautiful region. This can make negotiating easier for both parties involved as many buyers will be in a good & relaxed mood over this period and inclined to be more generous ( “let’s do it – it is Christmas, after all”). Buyers will also be in the Christmas spirit which means it’ll be easier for them to picture celebrating the next Christmas with the family and friends in their beautiful new home.
- Year end job transfer. The end of the year is typically the time when people get notified they will be moving because of a job transfer. Perhaps an offer comes through from another company that's just too good to pass up. Those people are going to need a home sooner rather than later and, as a result, they'll be hunting for a new home during the holidays.
Here are some do’s and don’ts to selling your home over the Christmas period:
Selling property for a good price over Christmas requires forward planning, good preparation, and strong execution – and many sellers make mistakes that can cost them thousands. Avoid these Christmas mistakes when selling your home, and follow our list of do’s and don’ts for listing and securing a sale over the silly season.
- Do check the market price during this time. With the changes in Aussie house prices, it’s important to be sensitive of the competition and what’s out there – don't just look at the list price- look at the sold prices in your area as well. The most important thing during this time is to generate interest, and one of the ways to do this is to have the right starting price for your listing.
- Don’t expect the sale to go through straight away. Many brokers, lawyers, and banks have reduced hours of operation during this time period, so the process could take longer than you initially anticipated. Prepare for a longer settlement period.
- Do focus on bringing the holiday touch for open homes. A beautiful Christmas tree, some stockings, and little festive elements can go a long way in bringing a sense of festivity into your home, as well as help prospective buyers imagine having their friends and family around next holiday season in their brand new home. We at One Agency have been known to bring our Christmas Cheer to our open homes.
- Don’t go overboard. Remove any little reindeer statues, holiday cards from colleagues, or personal holiday knick knacks. While it’s important to give that holiday feel in your home, there’s a fine line between the holiday touch, and holiday clutter. Most real estate agents favour a minimalist design, so your home can be a blank canvas that buyers can picture themselves living in. The holiday period is a great time to declutter!
- Do arrange your photo shoot before you decorate your house. While the objective is to sell quickly, it’s possible that your listing could be on the market after Christmas and New Years– and photos with a Christmas tree will very quickly become dated. Work with an agent that offers professional photography and advertising services, so you get the photos right from the get-go. Photographers shut down over the Christmas period so now is the time to prepare if you wish to list your property over this festive season.
Selling your home over Christmas can be a great decision, as long as you do your research and prepare in advance. With some guidance from a real estate agent, and strong marketing and staging, your property has a strong chance of selling quickly and for a great price.
Looking to sell before Christmas? Contact our team of experienced agents to appraise your property today, and find out how ONE Agency can help you maximize your sale price this holiday season.